Thursday, June 28, 2007

Jazoon '07 - day 3

Keynotes:

Eclipse way to Jazz
Eric Gamma(do I know him from somewhere? … hmm … GoF ?
J) presented the development process that his team is using in developing different Eclipse projects.
The motivation of Jazz is to reduce the “boring tasks”. He said “devs do not like to read”
J. It is so true.

The features of Jazz are quite interesting:

- Management of release plans

- Management of deliverables

- Management of builds

- Cooperation support for devs

- Nice web and desktop interfaces

I look forward to test Jazz. I will check if it is able to use another tool stack than that presented by Eric: Equinox, Derby and Tomcat.

I was nicely surprised to see Eric’s interest in defining and implementing a development process. I hope that I can make our clients more aware of the need of the process. The like Eclipse, so it would be a good reason to develop the project in the same way as Eclipse is developed. I see at least a light in the darkness.

Technical presentations

Persistence with EJB 3.0
It was a good presentation with expressive examples about how can we should use the new JPA in our projects as ORM.

Spring 2.1
Juergen presented some nice features from Spring 2.1 such as:

- annotation configuration

- auto-wiring via annotations

- component scanning

He also pointed out that a lot of performance improvements and fixes had been included I this release. So if you use Spring in your project keep an eye on the release date and switch to the new version.

Java FX
I am not a UI developer. I can say that I am not too enthusiastic about the way in which Java supports UI development, BUT JAVA FX IMPRESSED ME.

It is not yet another scripting language. Here is why:

- It is simple, powerful,

- has a syntax close to Java,

- can use Java objects easily

- can produce extremely nice examples

I do not say these because the speakers had said it, BUT because they shown us.
Flash is dying, long live Java FX!!!

Die hard 4
The organizers had a surprised for us: Die Hard 4, the movie. It was nice to relax after 3 days of conference. I am not a movie critic, but I would say that it is more violent and has more special effects than the previous one. By coincidence or not, the action from the movie is related to IT and hackers J. So go and see Die hard 4 if you like Bruce Willis and you want to see an action movie J.

Conclusions:
The third day was the best one, because of the topics and the speakers ;).

As a summary I would say that it was a nice experience to participate to this Java conference; there were a lot of new things that I had found. Some things to improve:

- extend the time for one presentation – 40 minutes in some cases is to less

- invite known speakers;

- do not accept some presentations only because the company is a sponsor

- do not feel the gaps with a lot of useless presentations from sponsors employees

No comments: